Technological Solutions for Provider and Caregiver Language Nutrition Training
Talk With Me Baby is designed specifically to increase provider and caregiver capacity to deliver language nutrition at the population level. Providers are increasingly embracing technology in both continuing education and practice. Pediatric clinicians are especially receptive to using technology to improve their clinical skill sets and to provide better care to their patients. Nurses are also using technology in various aspects of their professional development.TWMB uses a content management system (CMS) to educate professionals about language nutrition, provide simulations that allow them to practice delivering language nutrition, and evaluate the delivery of language nutrition. CMS refers to any application that facilitates the delivery and management of multimedia content from a central interface.
By using a CMS, TWMB:
- Ensures dynamic not static content;
- Allows trainings to be tailored to meet the diverse learning needs of providers and caregivers;
- Provides a mechanism for sustained two-way interaction between the provider and caregiver population;
- Provides a platform for real-time assessment of TWMB implementation and outcomes;
- Creates organic user communities among providers and caregivers.
The beta version of TWMB Language Nutrition Platform is illustrated below.
As this diagram illustrates, providers can access the Language Nutrition Platform using a wide range of devices, including smart phones, desktops, laptops, tablets, etc. More importantly the platform is designed to deliver content in both an active (facilitator-directed) and passive (user-directed) format, thereby overcoming limitations commonly associated with in-person didactic and webinar-based outreach approaches. The Language Nutrition Platform is essentially a turnkey solution for proactively engaging provider and caregiver populations in diverse settings.
Nursing Workforce Training Materials
Talk With Me Baby Nurse Training Materials
- Talk With Me Baby: A Curriculum for Nurses
- Training Videos
- Nurse Training presentation
- Nurse Training Fidelity Check-List for Trainers
- Nurse training status tracking sheet
- Train the trainer preparation process
- Train the trainer mock training feedback form
- Sample pre and post-test forms
- Sample Letter to Hospital Administrator
- Sample Letter to Private Obstetric and Pediatric Practice
- Sample Letter to Birthing Center (coming soon)
- Sample Letter to Dean of College of Nursing (coming soon)
- Check list for securing CEU approval for TWMB curriculum in your state (coming soon)
- Sample flier for marketing nurse training
- “Baby Ella” animated video, explaining the impact of the word gap and TWMB through a graphic narrative. Video is accessible to broad audiences and can be shown in healthcare waiting rooms.
Nutritionist Workforce Training Materials
Talk With Me Baby WIC Training Materials
- WIC Champions toolkit (coming soon)
- WIC Flipchart for one-on-one nutritional coaching with parents English | Spanish
- PowerPoint presentation (coming soon)
- Letter from Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald, Commissioner of the Georgia Department of Public Health, explaining the importance and benefits of focusing on the WIC nutritionist workforce
- Partners toolkit to introduce local partners like libraries to the language nutrition messages and enable them to reinforce them. (coming soon)
- PDF files for educational and collateral materials
- Mp4 file for language nutrition video developed by DPH (coming soon)
- Mp4 files for “Baby Ella” animated video, explaining the impact of the word gap and TWMB through a graphic narrative. Video is accessible to broad audiences and can be shown in WIC waiting rooms.
Physician Training Materials
- TWMB presentation for physicians (coming soon)
Early Educator Training Tools
Talk With Me Baby Early Learning Educator Training Tools
- The TALK© Strategy for Teachers, Rollins Center for Language and Literacy – TALK© is a research-based strategy to build children’s language through meaningful conversations. TALK encourage adults to: Tune-in by observing what the child is doing; Ask open-ended questions; Lift language; and Keep conversations going. This strategy is designed to increase a child’s vocabulary and lay the groundwork for reading comprehension.
- TALK With Me – a free online accredited course for caregivers and educators of infants and toddlers. (The course is accredited for 3 credits by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning.)
- Read Right from the Start, Cox Campus – In addition to the TALK With Me course, emphasizing the delivery of language nutrition, the Cox Campus also offers six areas of research-based accredited coursework, including more than 50 short videos, designed to enhance early learning classroom instructional methologies to promote language and literacy development.
- Social Emotional Engagement – Knowledge and Skills (SEE-KS) – a free professional development framework for educators and service providers built around neuroscience-based instructional strategies that increase social engagement during the first years of life.
Foster Parent Training Materials
- Talk With Me Baby: Foster Parent Curriculum (coming soon)
- Mp4 files for four training videos and one promotional video (coming soon)
- A Framework for Understanding – addressing trauma, toxic stress, and traumatic separations, introducing language nutrition and the importance of reading proficiency by the end of third grade. (coming soon)
- The Science Behind Language Nutrition – offering tips on how to deliver language nutrition, including “serve and return” communication and use of “parentese.” (coming soon)
- Becoming a Talk With Me Baby Foster Parent – providing tips on how to deliver language nutrition by talking, reading, singing and playing. (coming soon)
- Becoming a Talk With Me Baby Coach – emphasizing the importance of partnership parenting, the role of a TWMB coach, and tips on coaching. (coming soon)
- An additional video designed specifically for case workers is in development (coming soon)
- TWMB Foster Parent Training Session Overview (coming soon)
- Training sequence and fidelity of training/trainer checklist (adapted from nursing trainings for foster parent training) (coming soon)
- TWMB Foster Parent Post Test (coming soon)
- TWMB Foster Parent Evaluation (coming soon)
- Use of Interventions to Improve Caregiver- Child Interaction (coming soon)